Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Tag

Isn't she beautiful? Sweet AnnaClaire Christmas 2007

Maggie's mommy tagged me in the Christmas tag. Speaking of Maggie's mommy, I had wanted to share a prayer request with you all... She has a friend in the midst of a Vietnam adoption and things are not going so well. I don't know all the details, but could you please pray for them and that God works everything out and allows their sweet girl to come home soon?

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

Definitely hot chocolate- only if it's made from milk! I love adding boiling milk on the stove and adding Williams Sonoma peppermint to Ghiradelli hot chocolate mix... perfect.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Santa sort of stuffs stockings and puts everyone's on the floor with all of the stuff in them. The bigger things are wrapped under the tree and from family.

3. Colored light on house/tree or white?

I am personally more of a white light person. Definitely white on the outside. The (real) tree in our dining room with the nicer ornaments has white lights. Our fun (fake) tree in the living room has pre-strung (Dad loves them!) white lights and we add those huge, retro lights.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

No

5. When do you put your decorations up?

The first weekend in December. (sometimes the weekend after Thanksgiving... never before. I hate how Thanksgiving always gets overshadowed by people decorating for Christmas too early!)

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

I'm not really sure what it's called, but we always have some really good breakfast on Christmas morning for brunch.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?

That's easy. When we were younger, Will, Drew, and I would always sleep in Drew's room on Christmas Eve. I will never forget one year, Drew woke us up and told us that he saw Rudolph's red nose in the clouds! He also said that he heard the sleigh's jingle. (I'm pretty sure that was the year our dog had a jingle bell on her collar...) Anyway, that morning, we were all up at 6. We had set out time limit (yes, we always set a time that we can't be up before! Well, not so much anymore.) We were SO excited and wanted to wake up and "start" Christmas so badly! We started singing... more like screaming... Christmas carols. I don't know why this memory is so vivid, but I remember sitting in Drew's bed while we were all laughing and singing Christmas carols. I think we might've even gone into Mom and Dad's room to sing to them. We ended up waking them up... and waited until 7 to go downstairs.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

My good friend had parent's who didn't want to lie to them, so even though they played Santa, when she asked her dad if he was real, he told her no. I think she broke the news.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

I have never opened a present on Christmas Eve. My dad and his sisters convinced their parents to let them open one on Christmas Eve when he was little and they ended up opening everything, so Christmas morning wasn't the same. So my parents have always told us that and decided we can just wait until Christmas! I like it that way.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

The tree in our family room is the "fun" tree. (the one with big, retro, colored lights.) It is FULL of ornaments... ones Drew, Will, me, AnnaClaire, and even one Kate has made, random ones people have given us, we have collected over the years, etc. Our tree in the dining room has way fewer ornaments and they are all "nicer." We have some more expensive ball ornaments that my grandmother used to give us and needle point ornaments that my mom used to stitch every year. Only up until my 2nd Christmas though.

11. Snow. Love it or dread it?

I LOVE snow. It rarely snows here so school is cancelled. I love going over to my friends houses and rejoicing that there is no school, eating a pancake breakfast and hot cocoa, sledding, and just staying home and being comfy. Unfortunately, the last time we had a big snow was when I was like... 12. We had one worth of cancelling school 2 years ago. Last year was lame. We had one snow and it wasn't even enough for school to be cancelled in the south, where school is cancelled when they are predicted bad weather! I have amazing memories from snow days :)

12. Can you ice skate?

I'm not very good at it, but I can! Actually, I just went ice skating today. When I was little, my friend and I took ice skating lessons. It didn't work out so well...

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

Definitely in December 2006 when we brought AnnaClaire home from China 5 days before Christmas. She will ALWAYS be the most amazing, unbeatable Christmas present. But in terms of things, I also got a C*hi hair straightener that year (for a VERY good price, by the way)... that was a good gift.

14. What is the most important thing about the holidays for you?

Not forgetting the real reason for CHRISTmas. And making memories, because Christmas is such a memorable time :)

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

"Happy Birthday Jesus" cake!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

There's soooo many. I love having dinner and going to the Christmas Eve service at Church on Christmas Eve. I love reading the Christmas story and watching Christmas with the Kranks (not really sure how that fits in with the Christmas story, but it's a fun tradition nontheless!) I love setting an earliest time to wake up for Christmas morning. I love waking up way earlier and taking picture on the stairs while Dad checks to see if Santa came (gets his coffee!) I love taking turns opening presents one at a time, so we can all see what everyone gets and ENJOY the morning, I love having a big Christmas brunch, I love just lounging all day in my PJs...

17. What tops your Christmas tree?

A big, green and red plaid bow tops the one in the family room, and an angel tops the one in the dining room.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?

I'll be honest and say that I do like recieving things... who doesn't? But I also LOVE giving things... keeping the surprise and watching their face when they open the gift you got them!

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?

I love "O Holy Night" but only if it's Josh Groban's verison. I also love "Emmanual" by Point of Grace. And I really like "Silver Bells," too.

20. Candy Canes. Yum or Yuck?

I love anything peppermint, but can't eat a whole candy cane at once. The taste is good, but they are so sticky and sweet.

21. What do you want for Christmas?

I asked (and know I got) slippers. That's about it though. Oh and Texas sweatpants that I have wanted for the past few years, but they are ALWAYS out of my size by the time I get around to ordering them. If I could have anything I want, it would be that people aren't spending 3 billion dollars on video games in one month (true fact.) and would instead use it for things that matter WAY more in life... such as changing/saving someone else's life.

22. Do you attend an annual Christmas party?

Our swim team has a Christmas party every year, which is why I was ice skating today!

23. Do you dress up for Christmas Eve or wear PJ's?

Dress up for Church!

24. Do you own a Santa hat?

Yep. I got it from a gift exchange once.

25. Who do you normally spend Christmas with?

Since I'm only 15... I don't really have a choice in that matter. Only kidding... I LOVE spending Christmas with my family! My grandma (Mom's mom) always comes in town for Christmas, too.

As for tagging people... I tag anyone reading this. Comment if you do the tag so I can see!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read it Emily you can tag me I love your answers they were so interesting!