Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Great Wall of China

The Great Wall of China was something I had always dreamed of seeing. In 5th grade, I studied China and I will never forget building a little, cardboard "Great Wall" replica and wishing that someday I would be standing on that Wall which I had heard so much about. I never thought I would actually accomplish that "goal" of being on the Great Wall of China. To be there was absolutely amazing. It has to be one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in my entire life. I hope you all have the chance to stand on that wall some day, looking into the distance of the massive wall stretching throughout mountainous China, knowing that HUMAN hands made the incredible wall that you are standing on. You look out and it seems unreal. I wish the pictures I have, the description I vividly remember could do the Great Wall justice... yet they simply don't. It is one of the most amazing, incredible, and beautiful sights I have ever seen... especially with a bright, blue sky back drop!

We also went to the Forbidden City and Tiannamen Square two years ago today, but I don't have nearly as much to say about those sights. They were fun to see, just very historical for my liking (I know, that is so bad!) But it was still cool to see these sights you hear so much about and that are such a big part of China. And of course, being with our group was sooooo fun! :)

The above picture is probably one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken. I did absolutely nothing to that picture, it is exactly as I took it (other than adding the faded boarder this particular project.) Anyway, we had a history mini-project and had to choose a quote from Emerson or Thoreau and make a collage/picture, etc. using the quote. I loved that quote and love it even more on that picture.

And here's a picture of our family (minus Drew, AC, and Kate!) by Tianammen Square. We are in front of the Olympic countdown, exactly 2 years ago. Oh to be in Beijing again...

2 comments:

Keri said...

I am following our journey two years ago through your blog. I am also going back and reading ours each day. Such an emotional time.

Keri

Jenn said...

Its so fun "traveling back in time" with you while my parents are actually there!!!

Such an amazing experience!