Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11/01

A day that sticks out in my memory... one I will never forget.

I was in third grade when an announcement came on at school that no one quite understand. Our class had a time of prayer and the day went on, and although known of us knew what was going on, everything felt different. I remember going home and watching the news, seeing what had happened that morning. Yes, it is a day I will NEVER forget.

The next day, we had a "community heroes" chapel in our small room where all of elementary and middle school met for chapel. Every Wednesday on the week of 9/11, our school has that Community Heroes chapel. It started with 4 or 5 police and firefighters coming and we recognized them, had a time of prayer, etc. This year, elementary school, middle school, and high school as well as parents, teachers, and heroes met in the sanctuary of the Church. There were 27 different organizations of heroes. Mostly from all over nearby NC, but there were a couple of people representing the NYFD.

I think that is awesome. I know that I take for granted so many of those heroes who risk their lives for my safety.

9/11 is a day that will always stick out in my memory.

Never forgetting,

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

What a wonderful thing to do every year to honor our everyday heros!